Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
When it comes to retiring early, everything you need to know boils down to two things: time and money. In this short article, we cannot address every tidbit of knowledge necessary to navigate early retirement. But understanding that time and money are central to how you and your partner will experience your golden years can make the transition a little bit easier.
The Impact of Time for the Early Retiree
Retiring early is an admirable goal. However, in the rush to retire, it can be difficult to paint a clear picture of what early retirement will be like. For most retirees, images of days on the golf course or traveling the globe are common. But, as it turns out, reality often looks very different.
Too much time – While working, there never seems to be enough hours in the day. As a retiree, you have every hour of the day to yourself. It is important to consider getting involved in enough activities or hobbies to fill up the additional 40-plus hours a week you will get back.
Fewer or newer friends – You may be retiring early, but what about your friends? Most will still be working, making early retirement a lonely place if you aren’t willing to make new friends or truly enjoy hours of alone time.
Preparing your family – Early retirement certainly affords more time with your grandkids. However, your spouse is about to see much more of you too. Divorce after 50 has nearly doubled for couples who didn’t prepare for this major life transition.
The Impact Early Retirement Has on Money
Retirement is expensive and even more so when done early. Having a workable budget and planning for contingencies is just the start of ensuring you are financially ready. Even so, many retirees aren’t prepared for how significantly their finances will change.
You will spend more – With time on your hands and health on your side, the odds are you will spend more than you had budgeted. Every day feels like a weekend and too many retirees treat them as such by eating out more often, participating in more leisure activities, and spending money on ways just to occupy their time.
Health care is costly – As you wait for Medicare eligibility, you must purchase your own health insurance coverage. Unfortunately, in today’s marketplace, even the most barebones policies are exorbitantly expensive, with no signs of relief in sight.
Investment strategies change – Not only will you no longer contribute to retirement accounts, but you will likely need to become much more conservative in your investment strategy. This will reduce your annual return and limit the income you can withdraw each year.
Early retirement can be fun and exciting. But, before taking the plunge, take a moment and chat about the challenges others have faced when retiring early. The most important advice is to ensure you are retiring toward something and not from something.
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues